16 April 2007

Back to Square One

My losses continue to add up. My bankroll is now back to where I started this month. I can honestly attribute much of this lack of success to running bad, but I can also see where I have played hands poorly.
I played some $0.25/$0.50 NL cash last week. I was up and down. I lost a couple hands against (2) different players who bought in for the minimum ($10). I find that often when people buy in for the minimum they are hoping for at least one quick double up to earn some quick cash, or continue to push people off hands by going all-in quickly with any two.
Both the players I doubled up on their very first hand at the table. Both players were dealt K-K their very first hand. Both times I hit the flop reasonably and thought I was ahead.
Even with both these unfortunate hands I managed to stay near even for the session. I was down $15 until this hand.

Ooops, I guess I played the hand on my other computer. Maybe I'll get to post the hand later, but a quick overview.

6 handed max

J3 dealt 5-8 in the SB

Everyone limps so I am obliged to call. BB checks.

flop is 5 10 2

Everyone checks.

Turn is 5 (also putting up a second diamond)

Everyone checks again.

River is Q (no diamond so no flush or straight possibilities)

I bet $2 (about 2/3 pot)

BB raises to about $8 (quickly and with pot raise button I believe)

folded around to button (a player I earlier had doubled up who continued to play very poorly)

I raise all-in thinking unless someone has 10-10 and slowplayed the set on the flop and a turned boat I am ahead.

Both the BB and Button call.

BB shows A-5 to win the pot.

Button shows Q-7 and really thought he was good?

What I really learned from this session is that I need to do a better job of table selection. Most of the table had played solid thus far with the exception of the two players I double up. Neither one of those guys lasted very long both going broke before leaving. The other four players all were at least as good as I was if not better. I know I can find a table where I am far better than most. I need to realize when this is not the case and move to another table. I need to not be hard headed and egotistical thinking I can beat anyone.

I think I am taking a break from the cash games for a while to concentrate on SNG and MTT

No comments: